Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Revamp Update #1: Origins and Evolution

Name:  devblogtitle01.png
Views: 320
Size:  266.5 KB

Dear generals,

a few weeks ago we announced our plans to make Supremacy 1914 ready for the future by introducing a number of visual and technological improvements to the game in the upcoming months. With today’s progress update we would like to cast a glance back and reflect on how the game’s visual appearance has changed throughout the years - and how this legacy is inspiring the next step in the evolution of Supremacy 1914.

When S1914 reached open beta state in 2009 the map view was probably the only thing that reminds you of today’s game. The flat, brownish UI was reminiscent of the paperwork needed to run an army (and a country). Overall, the game embraced the retro look of 1990s strategy games with a strong focus on displaying stats and other important information.

In 2010, we introduced a completely revamped user interface which left its mark on the game up until today: A design featuring highly detailed assets and textures from World War I like morse telegraphs, wooden panels, iron bolts and shells. While later iterations of the design toned down a bit on the realism you can still see traces of it on the current website implementation.

With the introduction of the HTML5-Client in 2014 the overall look became a little less focused on realistic assets and ornamental effects again and removed Java as a potential obstacle for new players. This change made it possible for Supremacy 1914 to stay competitive in the gaming landscape up until today and paved the road for other successful products at Bytro Labs.

With the upcoming revamp we will once more take a technological leap forward and combine it with a general design update. By introducing WebGL as a state-of-the-art rendering technology we will bring a whole new level of detail to the map - while still allowing for precise controls at different zoom levels. We also think that increasing the level of detail for units and buildings is an important step to make Supremacy 1914 ready for the future of browser gaming.

A look at some work-in-progress designs for the in-game UI shows how we want to drastically improve the overall look and feel while staying true to the legacy of S1914. By removing most ornamental assets and effects from the interface elements we aim to focus on the information relevant to actual gameplay. At the same time, the sharp and clean but not too colorful design conveys an idea of 'modernity' which was actually pretty virulent in Europe in the 1910s and 1920s.

Units and buildings on the other hand will feature a level of detail that does not compare to any previous versions of S1914. Our approach is to capture the 'grittiness' and seriousness of World War I in those details and mix it with a 'modern' feeling that is reminiscent of the fact that it is today considered the first ‘modern’ war in history.

We can’t wait to share further details and work-in-progress and look forward hearing your feedback on the forum!

I don't really like the work in progress UI, it doesn't seem to keep the WW1 theme much.

It is...interesting. Will there be improvements on the base map as well, or will this be strictly the introduction of a new user interface?
    RPU Discord Server Link (click on flag)

The Lightning Turk Youtube Channel link (click on banner)

"I will lead my people by the hand along the road until their feet are sure and they know the way. Then they may choose for themselves and rule themselves. Then my work will be done."

-Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

What are those 9 circles for?To be honest, sometimes simplistic is a bit better. The new UI looks okay, I guess. But not so much a change that's really needed. Again, if I'm giving my honest opinion, the first UI was the best one but it did need an updated map, which you did and I think its perfect in that respect.I believe the game needs a performance update more than anything. Perhaps a more stable and responsive server, minor bugs and glitches that have been known for a while. Maybe the new UI answers some of these problems, but that remains to be seen.

Thanks for the feedback! We will update both the UI and the map. But at the same time WebGL rendering will tackle the performance issues (at least on the client side). And of course we always try to improve server responsiveness in general. This is a continuous effort though and will not achieved with a single update but slowly over time.

Keep up the great work though just wanted to offer some feedback in that respect. The new UI does look crisp.I think its great that you guys continue to stay active as a team, with great community management in the forum and help chat too. I've been a loyal player since 2009, and looking forward to many more years to come.Cheers to everyone at Bytro

its looks like the map is going to get an update to see behind the diplomacy menu the map looks diferent

I just hope that it won't be cartoonish because it really kills the game.

Is the map and UI going to be similar to map and UI in Call of War?

Quote Originally Posted by samandowain1914 View Post
    Is the map and UI going to be similar to map and UI in Call of War?
    There are two things to consider when talking about the UI (and its similarity to CoW): One is the structure and layout, the other is the overall look and feel.

In terms of general structure we are aiming for something like 'the best of both worlds'. The CoW UI did improve on some aspects and it would not be wise to ignore these improvements for sentimental reasons. On the other hand, the overall look and feel will still be more close to S1914 than CoW. We are also putting some effort into polishing the UI to a level that was not even reached in CoW (or S1914) in the past.

In terms of theme the new UI will feature less 'ornamental' nods to the WW1 era. Our approach is to make the UI as clean and unobstrusive as possible in order to put bigger emphasis on the map and in-game assets. These however will feature a complete new level of detail and be way more 'immersive' and true to the WW1 theme than the 'old' S1914. However, we are always open for feedback and criticism in that regard and I encourage you to share your thoughts on the forum.

As for the website: This will also receive a complete overhaul. We will introduce some nice usability features (i.e. quick access to running games as well as other social features) and adopt the modern but immersive look you already saw in the sneak peeks we shared of the in-game client.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information