Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Deleted User
    If I know a little bit of my history, wasn't the Ottoman Empire a super power for quite a long time?

What happened?

Why is WWI often refered to just the Germans, did the Ottoman empire play a significant role?

Was the Ottoman's military weak or was it the empire collapsing?

I asking this because a lot of people criticize them...

The Ottomans did absolutely nothing is WWI. The Germans would been better off not selling them the 2 ships and giving lots of small arms and artillery. All they did was get crushed again and again by the small British expeditionary force from India. They had almost no industrial capacity, Germany provided all their weapons and the generals as well. You could consider it a small pathetic branch of the German military pretty much, except they had very little discipline and terrible training.

To answer the topic question:

Deleted User
    this is actually a very interesting question, and I'd like to have similarily to Shiekh a small overview on the Ottoman dissolution and the reasons for it. not just what Ottomans did in the Great War.

posting a picture of the british flag is just idiotic and pointless.

The Ottomans did absolutely nothing is WWI. The Germans would been better off not selling them the 2 ships and giving lots of small arms and artillery. All they did was get crushed again and again by the small British expeditionary force from India. They had almost no industrial capacity, Germany provided all their weapons and the generals as well. You could consider it a small pathetic branch of the German military pretty much, except they had very little discipline and terrible training.

This is, I think, overly harsh. The defence of Gallipoli was well done, and the Turks can be proud of that.

posting a picture of the british flag is just idiotic and pointless

It is, however, an accurate snapshot. During the 19th century, the British generally supported Turkey ("the Sick Man of Europe") for foreign policy reasons. When Turkey made the bizarre decision to enter WW1 on the wrong side, it found itself up against the British Empire and basically in a hopeless position. Once the British found time to commit a serious army operating out of Egypt, the rotten-to-the-core Turkish empire fell over like a pack of cards.

Deleted User
    As a Turk,i must be best one who knows why Ottoman Empire collapsed.
    Theres lots of things to say about it but,If we shorten it theres three reasons.
    1:French Revolution
    Ottoman Empire had 20-25 races combined who led by Turks,but after French Revolution nationalistic and sovereignty ideas increased.
    Enemies of Empire used it aganist us,Like Russia's Pan-Slavist politica for reach medditerennian sea.
    Britain's Arab Empire politica.
    2:Industrial Revolution
    Some Sultans wanted to bring industry to empire,but they had two obstacles.
    First : small businesses,Leaders feared small businesses riot or dont pay taxes.
    Second : If A sultan gets x industry to empire, B sultan deletes it and gets y industry.But C sultan deletes it all.
    Leaders didnt combine their minds,and didnt floow their ancestors.
    3:Non Educated People
    1:Religious Abuse , religious abusers used non educated people to dont use technology,dont read books,dont send girls to school etc.
    2:neighborhood pressure,they feared from other people.
    I always thank God for Ottoman lose in WW1,because it made Modern Turkey with genius leader,Ataturk.Ataturk made French revolution,industrial revolution and education revolution in 15 years.

I always thank God for Ottoman lose in WW1,because it made Modern Turkey with genius leader,Ataturk.Ataturk made French revolution,industrial revolution and education revolution in 15 years.

His greatest achievement, however, was, in my opinion, making wearing a Fez punishable by death, as I believe it still is in Turkey. Without this far-sighted approach, Turkey would remain infested by Fez-wearers.

Deleted User
    About World war one :
    Ottomans had Italy-Turco wr in 1910-1911,Balkan war in 1912 and riots in 1910-1914.
    intelligent leaders warned head of state about dont joining war because empire was weak,but we had no chance except for entering.
    Reasons of Entering :
    1:Revenge upon enemy
    History of Ottoman Empire from 1870 to 1914 was epic fail,whole people wanted good victory aganist enemies.

2:Chances for repair
    Leader State tought only chance for getting industry to Empire and combining all people under one banner was war.
    (Modernization of Empire idea)

3:Pressure of Germany
    German Empire was last one who joined colonial race,and he was too late for take good colonies in world.Their last chance was middle east,they used tactic called Act like friend of Ottomans,make them our puppets.Propaganda of Germany infected leaders,they became pro-German

4:Ideas aganist Turks
    Greece's Megali Idea who trys to capture Anatolia
    Russia's Pan Slavist Politica
    Bulgaria's expansionist politica
    All world hated Ottoman Empire,
    Britain and France's Israel and Arab Empire politica weakened Empire,there was no chance for fix this all except join war.

5:Uniting once again
    Leader state dreamed about creating Turk Union called Turan (saving middle asian turks from grasp of Russian Empire)
    and creating Islam Empire who includes all muslims once again.

Deleted User
    Vathek :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atat%C3%BCrk%27s_Reforms
    Please read only headlines.

* 1 Political reforms
    o 1.1 Establishment of the Republic
    o 1.2 Secularism
    o 1.3 Milestones
    * 2 Social reforms
    o 2.1 Religious insignia
    o 2.2 Convents and dervish lodges
    o 2.3 Women's rights
    o 2.4 Milestones
    * 3 Legal reforms
    o 3.1 Milestones
    * 4 Educational reforms
    o 4.1 Unification
    o 4.2 Modernization
    o 4.3 Milestones
    * 5 Economic reforms
    o 5.1 Milestones
    * 6 Criticism
    o 6.1 Source
    o 6.2 Effectiveness
    o 6.3 Reform or Revolution

Deleted User
    Quote Originally Posted by vathek
    To answer the topic question:

How did they get there.

They were a SUPERPOWER they dominated in all fields for more than a century. It wasn't the British who had the strongest navy in the 16th century but rather the Ottomans.

Just searching around, it seems to me as their 700,000,000 (dollar idk) debt was leading to its economic downfall. So it allied with Germany (because they thought Germany was going to win the war by early victories plus Germany had much of their debt...so the possibility of forgiving the debt) but was the incorrect decision. Cries for independence in many of the Ottoman states just made it worse.

..Why was the Ottomans in debt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information