Playing Falnders map 2nd time; with fixed and unbreakable coalition.
What makes it boring the 2nd time around is that there are no solutions for a multitude of problems.
- Economy and personal influence:
Having 1 province of a certain resource (Supplies), I am forced to upgrade the Infra to level 5 if I want to be able to construct and produce the right things. That is just silly. Basically I do a bit of fighting on the border and then sit and wait - like a farming game instead of strategy game - until I have enough Supplies again.
Market trade offers no solution, because even at a Buy-offer at 30 for Supplies, nothing is sold to me. (Maybe AI sits on all the Supplies provinces?)
This is not a challenge, because there is no solution, no workaround, no-nothing. Simply nada I can do about it, except play Supplies farmer, waiting for my harvest.
In the 1st game it was the same with Tools.
- No unittrading possible? Why?
One argument in CoW and S1914 for this was to prevent super-stacking. Not Relevant here. (....and it was not a significant occurence in s1914 or CoW, thus irrelevant anywhere)
Another was treason, but that is not possible here, in this unbreakable coalition. (....and it was not a significant occurence in s1914 or CoW, thus irrelevant anywhere)
If I at least had the option to focus on Infantry-class development and could trade units for Artillery etc. which require Supplies, but ... alas; unit trade is not possible.
Please note I don't play Farmville, because I think that is boring... 'nuf said.
- Troop position markers and troop 'flags':
Game looks great, except for the blocked view on exact positions of troops in crowded battles, i.e. 100 smaller human and AI armies attacking a position like Ypre, making it impossible to position anything close to the battle in an exact position.
- make the units and there 'flags' become transparent when you zoom in, so position markers shine through
- make position marker shine through always
When doing so, keep in mind 33% of the world population has some form of color blindness (just thinking of the tiny dot which is supposed to be there in CoW, but for me it is just not; too tiny? wrong color?)
- Limited player interaction!
An MMO is basically a player-interaction based game. If it weren't, what would be the difference with playing vs AI off-line like in the old days?
This game offers very limited player interaction options for trade and diplomacy, which makes it ... boring.
- Coalition consists of AI and humans.
More than 50% of the human players of my (not even fully human) team is inactive already on day 4 and the enemy team is 80% inactive.
(This is actually the only challenge, because AI is smarter than all the 12 year olds that are lured into the game and won't like it anyway)
This leads to the conclusion that Bytro is marketing the game tp the wrong public.
So ... make a choice please!:
A. Keep making excellent strategy games for a smarter public and target those players with your marketing (text, visuals etc) and blow off the 12yrs old players.
B. Stop making excellent strategy games, dumb your games down, lose your active players and target the 12yrs old players (and go under in the marketing battle against bigger budgets of better marketeers of 1000's of dumb but flashier games out there for the dumber players)
Really ... inactivity has been the biggest problem of S1914, Cow and now is for S1. Solutions for the large number of inactives are i.e.:
- change your marketing to blow off those that don't like the slower pace and required thinking and learning, WHILE attracting the players that do like this kind of game.
- make rank-requirements to enter certain maps higher. Only players that are active attain higher ranks (mostly). When entering a map or creating a map, the ranking requirement thus more or less would guarantee that one avoids having 99 noobs in a 100 player map of which 89 are inactive within the 1st 2-3 days.
- add features, instead of removing them, so people have more to do than just farm resources...
- and a ton of other things...
Conclusion so far:
S1 is not really an improvement in view of the existing problems in S1914 and CoW. Now do what you have to do to make Supremacy great again.
Nevertheless, a few things are very likeable, i.e. it looks are great and the pro-active AI is so much better