Spelling Pet Peeves

• Okay guys and gals,

I'm trying not to become one of "those people" but there are two mistakes that just set my teeth on edge. It may be because I'm a writer.

Loose and lose. Many people use the word loose when they mean lose. They are both words in the English language with completely different meanings.

e.g. He's going to lose his dog if he doesn't keep him on a leash. Let loose the dogs of war! OR The knots were loose so he slipped out of them easily.

Moral and morale. Again two words in the English language with completely different meanings.

e.g. The moral of the story is good triumphs over evil. The morale of the troops made the difference in winning the battle.

There are other examples of words being mistaken but these two especially are annoying. :)

• Then and Than. Most English speakers write than when they mean then and vice versa.

“Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.”

― Albert Einstein

“War does not determine who is right — only who is left.”

― Anonymous

• My favorite word in dictionary has to be 'pettifogger' , also good word for scrabble ;)

Definition of pettifogger. 1 : a lawyer whose methods are petty, underhanded, or disreputable : shyster.

2 : one given to quibbling over trifles.

index.php?eID=image&uid=11763503&mode=2

Embrace your true nature , enjoy games and have fun!

• Good one J and let's not forget There, They're, and Their. A lot of people usually get those mixed up.

As for than and then, one is comparitive and the other is time.

e.g. I'd rather have coffee than tea. Or I'd rather have a coffee and then a tea.

• Affect and Effect.

These two words have given me so much trouble when I write. I am a native English speaker and I really cannot tell you which one is which. I believe that affect is to influence and effect is a result of something.

“Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.”

― Albert Einstein

“War does not determine who is right — only who is left.”

― Anonymous

• Moved to Off-Topic as this is not really game related and fits better in off topic.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one that is most adaptable to change. -Charles Darwin