Ukrainian provinces name change.

• Noticed this at the first glance at this game's map. Ukrainian provinces have their names written in Russian. That doesn't make much sense, does it? I think they should be renamed to their native, ukrainian names.

Киев > Київ (Kyiv)
    Харьков > Харків (Kharkiv)
    Подолия (doesn't make sense, it's Podolye even in russian) > Поділля (Podillya)
    Волыния (doesn't make sense, it's Volhyn in both russian and ukrainian) > Волинь (Volhyn)
    Кишинёв > Кішинів (Kishiniv)
    Чернигов > Чернігів (Chernihiv)

• In the English version of the game the provinces are usually named with the English name that customary for the time. If they're written in Russian are you perhaps playing on the Russian server or where you talking about the english writting in the wrong translation if such then the above is the reason. Also don't forget in WWI Ukraine was part of the Russian Empire So it does make more sense then you'd think.

NarmerTheLion
    ex - EN Senior Moderator

Questions about the game? Have a look at the manual and the FAQ's.

Need game support? Send a ticket or contact the crew.

Have an idea for the game? Check the BigList.

• I mean, you can play as an independent Ukrainian state Hetman (talking about the great war scenario, i'm at the wrong forum then, ain't i?), I've thought that's idependent enough to have our own names.

And yes, I was talking about the english writing.

• I mean, you can play as an independent Ukrainian state Hetman (talking about the great war scenario, i'm at the wrong forum then, ain't i?), I've thought that's idependent enough to have our own names.

And yes, I was talking about the english writing.

yes but customary for the time, at the time(1914) it was a Russian province. So most likely the British used the Russian names at the time

NarmerTheLion
    ex - EN Senior Moderator

Questions about the game? Have a look at the manual and the FAQ's.

Need game support? Send a ticket or contact the crew.

Have an idea for the game? Check the BigList.

• yes but customary for the time, at the time(1914) it was a Russian province. So most likely the British used the Russian names at the time

I've personally noticed that many names of foreign locations and even foreign leaders have been written in-game as their German equivalents. For example, the leader of 'Communist Russia' is identified in-game as 'Wladimir Iljitsch Lenin", the city of Lviv is identified as "Lemberg", and etc.

This could either be a reference to the fact that many regions of Poland and/or Ukraine were under Austro-Hungarian rule at the beginning of the war, or this could've simply stemmed from the fact that the game developers are German. :/

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

"Victory belongs to the most persevering."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

b78//+

• There are lots of examples of things that don't make sense, and not just in Eastern Europe. The Canadian territories are completely wrong. By 1914 every modern day province had been created, which means their leaders were premiers, not governors.

I think some things like that need to be taken with a grain of salt and not as historical fact