Stock Market Manipulation??

• Okay…I am trying to understand what I guess is the finer points of using the stock market in this game so please indulge my long post and little bit of a rant here. I am involved in a game and after using a few spies in one nation that I am playing against I found out the following information:

Current Stock Market Orders:

Sell 19,800 Wheat for 12.5/unit

Sell 16,121 Iron for 30/unit

Sell 27,000 Lumber for 30/unit

Sell 27,000 Coal for 30/unit

Sell, 23,000 Gas for 10.3/unit

Buy 39,000 Wheat for 1.3/unit

Buy 47,000 Fish for 1.1/unit

Buy 14,000 Fish for 1.1/unit

Buy 21,000 Iron for 5.7/unit

Buy 28,000 Iron for 4/unit

Buy 35,789 Iron for 2.9/ unit

Buy 26,531 Lumber for 8.2/unit

Buy 69,000 Coal for 1.3/unit

Buy 69,000 oil for 1.3/unit

Buy 28,007 Gas for 1.3/unit

Last Executed Stock Market Orders:

Buy 2,163 Gas for 1.3/unit

Buy 2,163 Gas for 1.3/unit

Buy 18,380 Coal for 1.3/unit

In all these trades there was no country listed that made the trade with the dude.

All of his trades were not listed on the Stock Market. Nothing…not even a trade option with a line/slash through it to show that this was a listing from a nation that had a trade embargo with me.

Additionally he has imposed a trade embargo on EVERY nation in the game save, I guess, his coalition members. How is he making any trades then?

Questions:

How is this guy able to purchase/buy Wheat for less than 5/unit, fish for less than 5/unit, Iron for less than 9/unit, Lumber for less than 14/unit, Coal and Oil for less than 4/unit. The numbers I listed were the lowest prices on the market at the time.

How is this guy able to sell Wheat for more than 7/unit, Iron for more than 12/unit, Lumber for more than 19/unit and Coal for more than 5/unit. Again, the numbers I listed were the highest rates offered at the time.

Now I don’t know all the “ins and outs” of playing the stock market on this game and I don’t know any cool and nifty ways to “beat the system” but besides obviously spending a ton of GM on this particular game, it would appear that this dude is somehow manipulating the stock markets! But how and is it known to others how to do this? :cursing:

• There is a little known 'exploit' of using diplomacy tab changing your status to TRADE EMBARGO to all countries in the map... then you place buy and sell orders on the stock market and some random, unlisted AI country  magically appears to trade with you on the stock market....

I have in past rationalized that this random, unlisted AI country was inserted into game mechanics to give balance to the game in case all countries independently blacklist one player on map preventing him from doing any trades or using the stock market, but I have no proof or inside information on the rationale for this unlisted AI country's existence.

Not sure how this will work when you are in a coalition and have share maps with members of your own coalition which can not be down graded to trade embargo....

Suggest you keep testing and finding these little known game mechanics and as you find them discern a way in which you can use them to your advantage, this S1914 game is always evolving and there is nothing like it on the internet :)

• Hello sir,

Trade embargo ONLY means you can't have any trade (e.g provinces, units, relationships, resources) with other nations.

Buying or selling resources on stock market have no effect on this. There is nothing in the game that can actually affect the stock market. This means, whatever you do, you are always able to sell and buy resources through the stock market. There is no way you can't do it.

No one can manipulate the stock market.

One cool thing is the in game stock market is similar to the real stock market where you could buy at a low price and sell at a higher price, so you are able to get more resources or more money back.

Hope this helps,

Frank Kid;)

• Also, like Hastings TNT said before, if you are in a a coalition, the default relationship between you and other coalition members are sharing map, it is impossible that your relationship with other nations are trade embargo. It is absolutely wired.

Have no idea if that ever happens... Maybe some sort of game bugs? Do not know.

• Thanks for the reply Frank_666 but the fact that this guy WAS able to buy and sell at well beyond the current rates for these resources does exhibit some sort of game rules manipulation. I watched the guy do it and is purchases and sales were not on the stock market lists. He was able to trade with "something" without any disclosure to others.

• Thanks for the reply Frank_666 but the fact that this guy WAS able to buy and sell at well beyond the current rates for these resources does exhibit some sort of game rules manipulation. I watched the guy do it and is purchases and sales were not on the stock market lists. He was able to trade with "something" without any disclosure to others.

I wonder if he is hacking the game? It might be a possibility.

• Trade embargo ONLY means you can't have any trade (e.g provinces, units, relationships, resources) with other nations.

Buying or selling resources on stock market have no effect on this. There is nothing in the game that can actually affect the stock market. This means, whatever you do, you are always able to sell and buy resources through the stock market. There is no way you can't do it.

It's the other way around. Direct trades are still working just fine. The stockmarket will have the trade embargod nations crossed out.

Now before we talk about the "magical AI" lets first consider the "start upAI offers"?
    Every player nation on the map starts with a few AI buy/sell options on the market that are not linked to a nation and are solely visible for them. The prices are based on your start regions rescources. This does mean if you didn't buy those offers early game you can end up seeing them late game when the regular AI and players sell for way more expansive (or buy way cheaper) and still trade with those start up offers. It is a mechanic introduced to as far as I know have the stockmarket working from day 1.

As those offers are personal for you, you don't need to be scared somebody else would buy it. And the others don't see the offers so this behavior explained above can happen.

(though I'm talking S1914 but I'm assumign S1 will be more of less the same, taken it's basically a CoWified copy)