New "Pure Strategy Mode" gold feature

• Hello all -

I'm just starting to explore the game. Very impressive! I love the level of detail, ease of play, player interactions, etc.

There's one problem though - I doubt I'll keep playing. It hasn't taken long to see this game is significantly flawed for many players like myself. You know where this is going... Goldmarks. The usage of these really ruins the game for anyone who enjoys the actual 'strategy' component of strategy games. I won't go into the numerous examples on why/how this is bad, but many agree there's no glory in outspending your component.

BYTRO - let's make you money AND keep players engaged!

Here's what I propose. Create a new Gold Round or "Gold feature" of the game that eliminates the use of Goldmarks during play. Let strategy alone decide the fate of the game. This could be done by either removing the buttons entirely OR just increasing the costs significantly (eg. a tradition 500 GM cost becomes 500,000 GM). Instead of Bytro slowly making their $500 dollars throughout the game (or whatever their average game profit is), just increase the cost of High Command slightly and add the new "Pure Strategy Mode" version of the game. My bet - new users and those who love to dominate the world through their wallet will continue with the traditional game while those who love a "pure strategy game" will pay for High Command and stick around longer. In the end, Bytro should see an increase their daily average users, an increase in profits, and an increase in loyal fans who love pure strategy games.

That's a win for everyone.

• I agree. BYTRO should not act against their wallet.

The question is... are they currently doing that? Are they leaving money on the table?

Only their internal data and a bit of experimentation will tell. Humor me...

For simplicity, let's image there's three types of players willing to pay for the game.

A. Big Spender. Player would spend $100 per month

B. Medium Spender. Player would spend $50 per month

C. Small Spender. Player would spend $20 per month

Now let's image what the breakdown is for 100 new players for game as it is. Where do they fall? And how long are they willing to pay?

Here's a made-up scenario show how much BYTRO could make on 100 new players.

A. Big Spenders = 1 player x $100 month x 6 months on average = $600

B. Medium Spenders = 4 players x $50 month x 6 months on average = $1,200

C. Small Spenders = 6 players x $20 month x 2 months on average = $240

X. None Spenders = 89 players x $0 month x 2 months on average = $0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPENDERS = 11 players = $2,040

AVG $ PER SPENDER = $185

Now, let's image this new "Pure Strategy Mode" feature creates a Strategic Spender category. Yes - it lowers revenue from some current spenders, but it also adds new spenders. New spenders who stick around longer...

Here's how that new scenario could play out for a 100 players.

A. Big Spenders = 1 player x $100 month x 6 months on average = $600

B. Medium Spenders = 3 players x $50 month x 6 months on average = $900

C. Small Spenders = 4 players x $20 month x 2 months on average = $160

D. Strategic Spenders = 6 players x $20 month x 6 months on average = $720

X. None Spenders = 86 players x $0 month x 2 months on average = $0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPENDERS = 14 players = $2,380

AVG $ PER SPENDER = $170

If data and experimenation hold to these scenarios to be true, BYTRO can make $340 more per month (16% increase in revenue) and gain 6 very strong advocates for the game. Those advocates are also much more likely to recommend the game... which should further compound their revenue gains.

Again, that's a win for everyone.

• Gold stamps are a great way for developers to make money. All of their Bytro games have gold marks. I doubt very much that they would act against their wallet.

Yes, we've heard it. Stop implying that because premium currency = developer income, developer income = everything has to stay exactly the way it is right now and this is the only and forever only way this developer could ever monetize their game. It's simply not true.

• I agree. having the option to create pure strategy games is an excellent idea. it could even be something that only paying members have an option for, but it should be doable.