**Movement Speed for units using Railroads**

• Train average speed is 80 mph (130 km/h), so why does arty move slower than inf units while both on same train?

All units loaded on a train should move at same speed, (what ever the speed of the train is moving at) Oddly enough all units still move at different speeds> based on a bonus on their normal movement speed (slowest unit movement speed on the train dictates movement speed)...

Rather than giving each unit a bonus on movement time based on that specific units movement speed on land, maybe Bytro could work on this, better all units have same movement speed once loaded on train, but has some sort of 'Loading Time" based on the unit similar to embark or disembark time on water?

ie... Railgun is slower when moving on rails than it is on water, this seems like a flawed game mechanic

index.php?eID=image&uid=11763503&mode=2

Embrace your true nature , enjoy games and have fun!

• Railgun is slower when moving on rails than it is on water, this seems like a flawed game mechanic

I don't quite agree with this, if you're talking logically here. Since the railgun is also unable to fire while at sea, I think it's fair to imagine it's disassembled when embarked and thus I don't really see why cargo vessels carrying the railgun parts shouldn't be able to be faster than the gun itself when it is put together to the hundreds of tons behemoth that it is, bound to rails with heavy friction. On land, the railgun pays for its massive range by only being able to shift it elsewhere very slowly, while on water it has neither the use nor the disadvantage - doesn't seem like such a flawed mechanic to me either actually.

I tend to agree with your main point, in that a railway should concievably be able to carry "regular" units as in Infantry, ACs, Cav, Artillery, Tanks and maybe heavy tanks at the same speed. This was probably just overlooked when the mechanic was placed in the game originally as a result of making the speed bonus a modifier of the original value, although I actually don't want to completely discard the idea that it might have been a balancing tool as well. Afterall, the base movement speeds are. And if the artillery is "embarked" on the train in such a way as to give it the same movement speed as infantry, should it still be able to use its ranged attack? Realistically it would probably have to deboard the train completely to get into firing positions next to the tracks. That would create quite a new situational element to combat. And if it could fire while aboard the train, balancing questions would have to arise. At the end of the day the modifier we have now is consistent and straightforward with all the unit's speeds maintaining the same relations to one another.

• Keeping in mind the premise that each 1 unit on a map represents 1000 units.

I do not think that arty or tanks or any other unit would be able to fight / fire while moving on the train, no more than railguns can fire while on a cargo carrier.

The entire concept that units using railroad can instantly enter into melee or do bombardment as range unit is flawed IMO there needs to be embark and disembark time, same as making a beach landing units are at 1/3rd strength, this could be corrected by Bytro.

Claiming a balancing factor in s1914 does not compensate for the flawed movement speed and instant melee or range attacks that are allegedly moving on a railroad in this entire combat scenario... Fact is Train runs at certain base speed, maybe it slows going up a steep pitch , but that would also mean train picks up speed going down hill... however over all speed of train would not change because of different unit type...inf , cars, inf, cav or any other unit that could be loaded onto a train.

Anyhow, this is something to register as possible fix for Bytro, I would prefer they make unit display a Top Priority

index.php?eID=image&uid=11763503&mode=2

Embrace your true nature , enjoy games and have fun!

• I'm still a little on the fence about it but I would surely be interested in testing out a different implementation of the railway. Generally I'm always in favor of keeping things as simple as possible in this game because that's a main part of its appeal and I think the modifier instead of equalized speeds serves that purpose. But who knows. Improving a system like that and testing it out is what creative developers and beta testers exist for, right. Dot, dot, dot...

• I'm still a little on the fence about it but I would surely be interested in testing out a different implementation of the railway. Generally I'm always in favor of keeping things as simple as possible in this game because that's a main part of its appeal and I think the modifier instead of equalized speeds serves that purpose. But who knows. Improving a system like that and testing it out is what creative developers and beta testers exist for, right. Dot, dot, dot...

LR, I think you've forgotten that Bytro has a ton of Beta testers. We all go into action the moment a new update is announced. :( In fact, I now know what a lab rat feels like.

Edited 2 times, last by Furry1: In fact, I now know what a lab rat feels like. ().