Artillery in melee still conducting ranged fire?

• I never cease to be amazed at some of the apparent anomalies in this game.

Whenever someone has melee attacked a stack of mine that has artillery units in it, my arty units can no longer conduct ranged fire as they are engaged in the melee. So today I melee attacked a fort which has an artillery unit among the defenders, and moved my own artillery units in range to bombard the fort, confident that the enemy would not be able to fire back since they would be engaged in the melee combat.

But instead, I find the artillery unit is still successfully bombarding my own artillery stack, and has already killed one unit.

Is this how the game is supposed to work? Because I've never encountered this before.

• Joe, I think that the arty unit is AT THE BACK OF THE FORT but you can't realize it since to the new UI your using, so, u mistaken attacked Melee armies with forts and cause your arty is bombarding the fort, the arty in the back gets to attack your arty stack (Man-controlled) so it dies 1 arty. And is the situation getting better now?

Get going with strategy at first of the game, always be prepared, and win the game with an amount of skills and take the trophy up with your allies or yourself!:D:) It is just a game:!:

• So arty can attack even when being meleed now? Well, IIRC that's not how it used to work, but I guess in some respects it's more realistic.

As to "the situation", well I destroyed the fort and killed the enemy but lost too many of my own troops in the process, and couldn't continue the offensive. He managed to get more troops into the fort just before my attack so I didn't quite have enough to do the job, but I decided to go ahead as he is a much bigger country and killing the rest of his troops while he was relatively weak was IMO the best strategy before he got to build up again.

If I'd had just a little bit of support from my useless coalition it would have been a very different outcome, but trying to get them to do anything is like poking a stranded whale with a stick.

• So arty can attack even when being meleed now? Well, IIRC that's not how it used to work, but I guess in some respects it's more realistic.

As to "the situation", well I destroyed the fort and killed the enemy but lost too many of my own troops in the process, and couldn't continue the offensive. He managed to get more troops into the fort just before my attack so I didn't quite have enough to do the job, but I decided to go ahead as he is a much bigger country and killing the rest of his troops while he was relatively weak was IMO the best strategy before he got to build up again.

If I'd had just a little bit of support from my useless coalition it would have been a very different outcome, but trying to get them to do anything is like poking a stranded whale with a stick.

The arty IS BACK OF THE FORT, at the back of the fort. As to your situation now, bombing with arty and ranged weapons would be best while eating some peanuts and watch them smash into your forts.

Get going with strategy at first of the game, always be prepared, and win the game with an amount of skills and take the trophy up with your allies or yourself!:D:) It is just a game:!:

• The arty IS BACK OF THE FORT

So, what about battles that are not in a fort? Can the artillery in a stack outside a fort that is being melee attacked still conduct ranged fire? Thanks.

• The arty IS BACK OF THE FORT

So, what about battles that are not in a fort? Can the artillery in a stack outside a fort that is being melee attacked still conduct ranged fire? Thanks.

conduct ranged fire ON THE MELEE UNIT THAT THEY ARE OPPOSING