A few suggestions

• Hi,

I have a list of suggestions below. A few things about me to make sense of my suggestions:

• I am a relatively new player (~1year; never had the chance to play on legacy mode), but am quite active (100+ games)
    • I mostly play on the computer (so my suggestions are based on the computer interface)

If any of my suggestions stems from misunderstanding of the game mechanics, it would be good to let me know. Thanks for considering.

----

• Railgun/battleship destroyed message in newspaper
      • Problem: The message that goes along the lines of “A railgun/battleship has been destroyed” in the newspaper is sometimes misleading. Even when two or more railgun/battleship has been destroyed in a single turn, it still displays the same message.
      • Suggested fix: Report the exact number (preferable) or change the message to say “one or more railgun has been destroyed” to be factually correct.
      • Implications: If the number of destroyed railgun/battleship is correctly displayed, one can precisely count the number of railgun/battleship that a player has by sifting through the newspaper. I think this is a cool design feature that somewhat mimics open-source intelligence gathering in the real world. But the misleading message about railgun/battleship destruction introduces noise. This noise is not very realistic (if there is accurate news reporting of the production of battleship/railgun, why isn’t there accurate news reporting of the destruction of these units?). Additionally, this misleading message is also not friendly to new players.
    • Espionage system: terrible lags
      • On big maps or when large number of spies are deployed, the espionage interface would lag terribly when my spies obtained intel about all my target’s provinces information (e.g., what is built, what is under construction). This lags in turn causes/exacerbates several problems I describe next.
      • Suggested fix: Introduce a filter to allow users to not display provinces information in the espionage reports.
    • Espionage system: too tedious
      • When I want to redeploy my defensive spies (based on information in newspaper) and offensive spies (because it’s a good strategy to move spies around to thwart counterspies), I sometimes have to manually recall all my spies. This seems unneccesarily tedious and it becomes particularly terrible when the system is lagging.
      • Suggested fix: Add a “Recall all spies” function. Maybe a master recall that recalls all spies, and a recall function for each of the 4 types (defense, economic, intel, military).
    • Accidental gold usage
      • There were a few occasions where I accidently spent goldmarks on unintended instant offensive espionage attacks due to the lag.
      • Suggested fix: Add a confirmation prompt just like what you have on mobile.
    • Help users know the splash damage area.
      • This game has splash damage, supposedly with a radius of 5km (I think). But it is really difficult to judge what 5km is. I think I have a rough idea after I have played more, but it can be difficult for a new player. I suggest either:
        • (i) add one of those distance measuring tool that google map has (but I think you may have to allow greater levels of Zoom for it to work).
        • or (ii) add a small semi-transparent circle around all units that shows the radius of splash damage, and users can turn this circle on/off (default = off).
    • Allow users to toogle ‘snap-to-grid’
      • I think there is a snap-to-grid type function when selecting where to move troops to. That is, when we try to move troops to a location very near another unit (or province, or navigation points at sea), it will ‘snap’ to the location of the unit. This feature is helpful in most situations, but in a few situations, it makes it difficult to make fine controls of troops movement. Maybe this is related to a similar criticism made by the legacy mode lovers? (I dont know because I never had the chance to use legacy mode). I suggest allowing users to turn this 'snap-to-grid' option off/on (default = on)
    • Allow users to delete chat messages
      • It seems that a major source of in-game lag is the accumulation of chat messages with coalition/other players. I have read that it is possible to make a report to get a game operator to clear the messages, though I have never done this before. But come on, GO are already overwhelmed with more meaningful reports that require human judgment (e.g., cheaters, multis) and they already have a response time of 3+days (in my experience). I suggest adding a feature to allow users to do this themselves.
    • Show if a nation has High command on Nation Profile (not just in the newspaper ranking).
      • When evaluating the profile of my neighbours, one of the things I want to know is if they have high command. But to check that, I have to look up the Newspaper ranking, which is unnecessarily tedious, especially in a 100-player or 500-player game.

Any sufficiently advanced tactic is indistinguishable from magic to the uninitiated.

• Never played on legacy mode? You poor soul, at least you dont need to feel the pain of not having legacy mode. Good sugestions, but we keep telling them the amount of problems in the new mode they dont care. Its amazing how a few of these were not an issue in legacy.

• Never played on legacy mode? You poor soul, at least you dont need to feel the pain of not having legacy mode. Good sugestions, but we keep telling them the amount of problems in the new mode they dont care. Its amazing how a few of these were not an issue in legacy.

please direct all comments about legacy mode to this thread [S1914] Legacy-Removal Feedback Thread so that we may hear everyone's criticisms, feelings and feedback. thank you!

All is fair in love and war

• please direct all comments about legacy mode to this thread [S1914] Legacy-Removal Feedback Thread so that we may hear everyone's criticisms, feelings and feedback. thank you!

Yea i have already, just talking to my friend here. Im sure its unconfortable that people are spreading the discontent around but tough luck. I made my criticism in the apropriate thread, but im still free to discuss the theme in other threads if the topic comes to conversation.

Cheers

• To answer the part about Radius or splash damage, most distances in S1914 are measured by 'Movement Time" and terrain, real fun is in when you spend resources and think you have an airfield just in fighter range only to learn a day later you are about 5 KM outside of Fighter plane range LOL

index.php?eID=image&uid=11763503&mode=2

Embrace your true nature , enjoy games and have fun!

• To answer the part about Radius or splash damage, most distances in S1914 are measured by 'Movement Time" and terrain, real fun is in when you spend resources and think you have an airfield just in fighter range only to learn a day later you are about 5 KM outside of Fighter plane range LOL

What you just said reminded me of another pain point: it is not possible to judge the flight range of planes without first having a plane. When I am starting to build an airforce but do not have a plane yet, it is hard to tell where I should place my airfields most efficiently. The flight range of fighter is 250km (or whatever it is in terms of movement time), but I cannot tell the flight range on the map with my eyes. I can get a rough sense of the radius of splash damage through experience, but I dont think i will ever be able to do so for flight range. This difficulty judging distance also applies to other situations, though to a lesser extent (e.g., judging railgun range). This difficulty measuring distance is obviously not a good representation of the real world. So having a distance-measuring tool would really help make the gameplay more realistic and enhance the planning/strategic elements of this game.

Any sufficiently advanced tactic is indistinguishable from magic to the uninitiated.

Yea.. from reading what many people have said, I think i would probably prefer the legacy mode if I had the choice.