Challenging AI

• Hi guys,

I have had a significant break in my "Supremacy commander" career (two years I guess) and since I have returned, I have noticed that the AI is significantly better than it used to be. It is really difficult for me to defeat AIs. They are really offensive, clever and fast and I am not sure what is the best way to deal with them. Hit and run tactic with artillery covering behind a fortress could be good, but slow approach. Does anyone have some hint?

• Yperman

Approved the thread.
  • maybe you find AI difficult because it behaves differently from the past and you still don't understand its behavior. But if you play a little more with this new AI, you will find that it is fairly predictable.

What I usually do with AIs is:

1) For some provinces which I can access from two directions, I will send a small number of infantry from one direction (see screenshot).

2) Use ranged units (artillery/ships) from another directions to draw their troops out of the fortresses. Try to use only 1 artillery to fire at the stack in the fortress. This reduces the damage to the buildings in that province, and you can use the 2nd artillery to fire at the fortress right after to lure out the remaining troops. Usually, two shots are enough to lure all the units out. But occasionally, 3 shots are needed, and very rarely, AIs dont get lured out.

3) After shooting, have the artillery fall back.

4) When the fortress is vacant, the infantry can capture the province from the other side.

5) Once you captured the province, the terrain movement penalty will slow down the enemy troops movement, making it easier to hit and run. Also, your artillery will no longer damage the buildings.

Obviously, this is just a rough guide, some changes are needed depending on situation.

• 2) Use ranged units (artillery/ships) from another directions to draw their troops out of the fortresses. Try to use only 1 artillery to fire at the stack in the fortress. This reduces the damage to the buildings in that province, and you can use the 2nd artillery to fire at the fortress right after to lure out the remaining troops. Usually, two shots are enough to lure all the units out. But occasionally, 3 shots are needed, and very rarely, AIs dont get lured out.

3) After shooting, have the artillery fall back.

4) When the fortress is vacant, the infantry can capture the province from the other side.

5) Once you captured the province, the terrain movement penalty will slow down the enemy troops movement, making it easier to hit and run. Also, your artillery will no longer damage the buildings.

very creative i like that