BanzaiPrincess

Idea: Add Buildable Forts

I didn't see this idea in the list and I feel like it could add some interesting depth without needing an insane amount of work.

What do people think about adding buildable forts that would exist outside cities, along the existing roads, and provide a defensive bonus to troops stationed within?

Rationale: There are many areas on the map where roads converge outside the cities that would allow enemy troops to bypass a frontline city with a fortress and large garrison. Being able to build a fort in such a strategic area could add new depth to Supremacy1914, especially in areas like crossroads, beaches (like coastal batteries), or on an unfriendly border. It could better approximate things like the Maginot Line and static defenses that were utilized in this era.

Limitations:
    1) There would need to be an upkeep cost for each fort to prevent spamming.
    2) There could be a province cap on number of forts, for similar reasons.
    3) I'm not sure if it'd be doable to make the forts destructible on the map, but I feel it'd be better if invaders would have to destroy the forts (and any occupants) before being able to push on.

Thoughts?

BanzaiPrincess
    (Apparently I'm dumb and can't find the edit button)

The forts could be unoccupied/unoccupiable as well, if that works better.

Also, the way to select harbor placement on the map when building from the city could be how forts/outposts are placed as well. This could give devs the ability to restrict where they may be placed.

I think the idea gets close to the trenches ideas from the past. As trenches could be seen as the entire line of defence.

To my opinion if this got implemented then there must be a way to demolish it as they should indeed have an upkeep.

I honestly like the idea I do however wonder how practical it can be added to the battle engine.

Added to the biglist

Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiPrincess View Post
    (Apparently I'm dumb and can't find the edit button)
    This is probably due to you being listed as guest. This is one of the issues which will makes us go to a new forum during the revamp.
    Last edited by NarmerTheLion; 10-01-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Questions about the game? Have a look at the manual.
    Need game support? Send a ticket or contact the crew.
    Have an idea for the game? Check the BigList.

BanzaiPrincess
    Quote Originally Posted by NarmerTheLion View Post
    I think the idea gets close to the trenches ideas from the past. As trenches could be seen as the entire line of defence.
    Thanks for the feedback. I read the trenches threads but felt this -- a defensive, on-map location -- was different enough from a building that buffed allied / debuffed enemy troops' movement or morale.

To my opinion if this got implemented then there must be a way to demolish it as they should indeed have an upkeep.
    I agree on both upkeep and I feel that it being similar to the harbor (on the map, but also destroyable) would be the best way to get the desired effect. And again, I'm not sure if it'd work better being occupiable but troops or not.

I honestly like the idea I do however wonder how practical it can be added to the battle engine.
    Yeah, this is something that I have no insight into, since I don't code and have no idea what would have to happen to make this reality. I just felt like this coming revamp may open up opportunities and I figured I'd at least share the idea.

Thread Information