7 Ideas to Upgrade S1914
1. Army additional moral penalty at day end change if:
(i) Being attacked from multiple directions, that is according by roads; and/or
(ii) Completely surrounded by enemy provinces and/or its coastal sea area controlled or conquered by enemy navy.
2. Introduce coastal sea area like a province with borders. But coastal sea area can not rebel.
Conquered coastal sea area can produce fish resource. As such, land provinces with fish resources can be replaced by other resource types. Non-coastal sea area shall be a free sea area or international waters;
3. Province surrounded by enemy provinces and/or coastal sea conquered by enemy shall suffer additional morale penalty at day end change;
4. Introduce poison gas as what was found in Tesla War. Gassed area will harm enemy and friendly units. Province gassed will have a lingering harmful effects for a few hours. The poison gas can be fired specialized equipment, that are from “gas artillery”, “gas bomber” or “gas cruisers”;
5. Introduce a chance that surrounded army will surrender when morale is <50%. When it surrenders, up to 20% of the surrendered army will join the attacking army and the rest into POW (Prisoner of War). A higher % joining the attacking army if the army surrendered at a lower morale;
6. Introduce and record POW holding by each nation.
When warring nations agreed for peace, all POW will be released to that nation and back to the original nation’s army.
Introduce the “POW free to choose” option, up to 20% will join the host nation’s army if the food ration is 50% and the remaining join back to the original nation. The nation holding the POW may offer this to the POWs.
Holding of POWs will consume food by default 50% of normal ration. The player may reduce the food ratio % but it will cause a certain % of the POW to die off at day end change or ordered all POW to be executed. Execution of POWs is only allowed for nations who are not a member of the League of Nations.
Reduction of food % ration to POW, number of POW deaths or ordering execution of POW has a chance of being leaked to the press or revealed by any type of spies.
7. Introduce League of Nations to the game.
Advantage of joining League of Nations:
(i) Upon joining, a global 10% morale boost to all their provinces (just like capturing a capital) and a permanent +5% morale for all provinces;
(ii) Upon all member nations points reached 51% of total points of all nations, all member nations will have another one round of global morale boost of +10 morale to all their provinces;
(iii) Member nations are free to make war with one another although they are members of the League of Nations;
(iv) free to leave League of Nations without additional morale penalty except the permanent +5% morale for being a member is removed; and
(v) member nations can make exchange of POWs or unilaterally release all POWs due to the presence of Red Cross in the member nation.
Disadvantage of joining League of Nations.
(i) Disabled button the use gas artillery. Member nation can build gas artillery/bomber/cruiser but they can’t be used;
(ii) Disabled button to execute POWs;
(iii) Unable to exchange or release POWs; and
(iv) Must declare war. Can’t do a surprise attack.
Advantages of NOT being a member of League of Nations.
(i) Can use gas artillery/bomber/cruiser;
(ii) Can execute POWs and
(iii) Can do surprise attack.
These can be in the newspaper:
(i) Members of the League of Member joining and leaving the League of Nations;
(ii)members of the League of Nations reached 51% of global points,
(iii) use of poison gas for the first time; and
(iv) execution of POWs
A note on Iron Order:
Being playing a game at the recently released Iron Order since 4 Aug 2021. Seems that it’s just mainly graphical changes with recycled ideas from S1914, Call of War and Conflict of Nations. So far, I have not discovered any fundamental change in the game that could cause me to rethink war strategy afresh. I hope that Bytro will introduce new ideas into the game that affects the strategic thinking part which is the core, that makes S1914 such a great game. For the moment, I would think that Bytro could better use their resources and investment to make a major upgrade to the current S1914 game. Changes that focused on the strategic aspects of the game, while making small improvements on graphics and user interface and playing experience.
All the best to Bytro’s team.