Posts by Wiltshire Yeoman

Unfortunately, wars aren't fought in staff officers' posts, but on terrain. There is where it counts.

I know that too. Very very well. But this is a game mate. If you want to play a game that realistically depicts war from the point of view of an individual soldier or platoon then play ARMA.

This game new or legacy will NEVER recreate that. Its a strategy game hence my comments about the people who make strategic decisions in real wars. If YOU want this game to be realistic then it should surely mimic that.

I do take on Narmers point that if RoW is making more money because of Steam and Mobile then the owners are obliged to maximise their profits and I'm sure there's no room for dead ducks if that's what this is/was.

We are luckily aware of this, (I'm volunteer so not really a representative) The revamp is inspired by the succes of CoW but needs some fixes and also fixes that were non existing for CoW as CoW does have some stuff that are different to Supremacy luckily there are updates rolling out int he comming months to make the new mode fully functional

Is that game really a success? There seem to be 500,000 more register users yes but a much much larger percentage seem to be inactive. I last week tried to play it again and am now a private have joined but not finish 2 games. I'm already in the top 300K players. As a Lieutenant you'd be in the top 100 players! Not so on here.

None of the games on the home page are full. Even the one at 300+ days. My game after a couple of days only has 5 active players the highest ranked of whom is a Sergeant.

CoW is a poor game with apparently few active players.

Also as to the point about the real world be 3D so 3D is more realistic. Firstly if we wanted realistic graphics we'd be playing Call of Duty or some such. Secondly this game is about Strategy if you want a realistic depiction of what staff officers see when dictating strategy then they are actually staring at maps and reading incoming reports. That was true in 1914 and it was true as recently as 2003 in Iraq, for me at least.

Shows as L1 where? As the guys above said it's L2 or above which is why you can't see the number of troops.

It's a risky business attacking high level forts with our Arty support or massively overwhelming numbers.

If you keep throwing in troops you'll eventually grind the fort down and see what's in there.

Can you not do nested quotes on this form to allow addressing individual points?

1) I personally don't see how 2D is Napoleonic and 3D is WWI? NGA Planets is set in space and that's very simple 2D maps. Still feels futuristic.

2) But the units haven't changed in the new version? So I don't see the difference. Still Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery plus Tanks, Planes and Ships.

3) They do look nice but like CoW they make game play more difficult.

That said I can totally see the need to be able to get onto mobile and steam platforms to drive the product forwards.

I think it's great that the MODS and Staff have so much belief in the new game but personally I think it'll end up very similar to CoW.

But the criticism remains: design-wise, Legacy is a RISK-esque representation of Napoleonic Wars, and yes, everybody loves RISK, but S1914 wants to close to the WWI theme and, for that, designs like "TGW" are needed.

You've said twice now it's a representation of the Napoleonic Wars why do you say that? Also specifically which parts of the TGW design feel more like WWI?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'd genuinely like to here your take on those points?

That's actually what I like about this game. It's very much like Risk Plus most games are won or lost through strategy and alliances and relatively few people pay to win.

There are LOTS of other games out there with more complex tech trees etc but this had it's own niche. I guess they'll move this game more towards Call of War. Personally I didn't like that game, although perhaps I should try it again, but if it's significant'y more popular than the current S1914 then of course it makes sense for the owners to move it in that direction.

At the end of the day it's about building a game with the widest appeal because at the end of the day it's a business.

I'm having difficulty changing my in game name. I was able to change the portrait and the correct ensign for 1701. However the name keeps reverting back to my user name when using legacy mode.

I am part of the front line pioneers which means I am running the beta for the new interface. Currently that does not allow you change the player name. I think this is why I can't change the name.

I wouldn't mind having a crack as Sweden if you don't mind. I may need some guidance on RP but here is a sample article.

This morning at reveille his Grace the King addressed the troops assembled outside of his campaign tent. The official transcript of that address is as follows.

“We Charles, by the Grace of God King of Sweden, the Goths and the Vends, Grand Prince of Finland, Duke of Scania, Estonia, Livonia and Karelia, Lord of Ingria, Duke of Bremen, Verden and Pomerania, Prince of Rügen and Lord of Wismar, and also Count Palatine by the Rhine, Duke in Bavaria, Count of Zweibrücken–Kleeburg, as well as Duke of Jülich, Cleve and Berg, Count of Veldenz, Spanheim and Ravensberg and Lord of Ravenstein do solemnly swear to uphold the honour of the Swedish Empire.

It is now almost a year since the treacherous triple alliance of Denmark, Poland and Russia attacked our empire and sparked this Great Northern War. They thought us a weak and inexperienced boy whom they could easily cast aside, to divide our God given empire between themselves. We stand here now not as a 19 year old youth but as your undefeated King.

My treacherous cousin Frederick IV of Demark was first brought to heal and defeated at Travendal and now he licks his wounds in Copenhagen.

Then our most glorious victory to date. At the Battle of Nava we defeated a Russian army four fold our number and sent them running back to Peter the Great with their tails between their legs.

Now you stand before us and ask where next. Today we tell you. We go onwards for this year we will face the Polish dogs. Many of you know Augustus II has sued for peace and we know you stout Yeoman of Sweden pine for your homes but he can not be trusted. We must thrust him from power and secure our place in history.

We promise you this. The year of our lord 1701 is but the dawn of the greater Empire of Sweden 100 nay 300 years from now they will look back and say these are the days that built Sweden as the greatest nation in the whole world.”

The address will be copied and posted in all town squares across the Swedish Empire.

Look at the other thread lots of input in there.

It's not just the weird 1982 Tron like look and feel. Much much more critically it's really hard to see what's going on with the new icons. I can't easily see where they are and I can't see how many are stacked.

On the look and feel I think we've now lost the "retro" 1918 vibe which made the game feel so cool.

The interface is now similar to CoW which I play briefly when it came out but ultimately abandoned as it just wasn't as much fun as S1918.

I DO APPRECIATE all the efforts of the team in making these enhancements but for me they don't work. (More details on the other thread). Again sorry guys,.

Hi I've been playing the game for years but just registered on the forum to give some feedback on the new interface.

First of all I'd like to thank the developers for all the hard work they've done not just keeping the game running and fresh but also in the new revamp. It's obviously been a major effort.

Unfortunately for me it just doesn't work so far. As others have said it's now just so much more difficult to see whats going on easily across the whole map.

As per above the new 3D icons make it really hard to see exactly where the unit is sitting and also whats in the stack. You need to zoom right in.

The sea is beautiful but for me completely unnecessary in the game play and worse I'm finding it distracting and hurts my eyes (being able to toggle that off would be great).

The combination of the bright white borders, twinkly blue sea and very drab country colours makes me feel like I'm in the 1982 movie Tron. The old version felt somehow more in theme with a game set in 1918. This is especially true of the news paper which now looks really odd too.

I'll get used to the new menus etc that just change but I do think the new icons look (and I know this is a theme) a lot less fitting for a game set in this period. More Star Wars than World War.

The main thing though is the usability of the map the icons for Units, Cities and Resources don't really work for me at all.

Sorry it's so negative guys.