Artillery advanced controls to avoid loophole

• The attached print screen is from a recent match in which a player is using a tactic to avoid artillery blast by simply detaching most of the troops. By doing so, the attacking artillery will now attack the smaller group of troops, protecting the main garrison. This is obviously a nonsense action since there is no military logic in attack a smaller garrison. It is not a bug or a glitch, but a loophole and in my point of view one that makes the game boring and extremely imbalanced because it rewards the ones that uses it and not the ones who is the strongest.

My suggestion it to create a new function for the artilleries to "attack area", in which the attack will always be in the same spot. Other suggestion for the same subject is to chance de troops naming process. Today, if I have 100 troops and detach 99 of them, the 1 troop left will carry the previous name (ex: 11th infantry) and the 99 detached will be granted a new name. Therefore, if the artillery is aiming at the 11th infantry, it will keep aiming at the 11th artillery even after 99% of the troops left the regiment. So, my suggestion is to create a new logic for the name changing, maybe something like in order to keep the name the garrison should have more than 50% of the previously size.

Anyway, that is the idea and most important a topic to be discussed and even more important find a reasonable solution.

Thanks!

Xiru Missioneiro (Id 35933912)

Serpentes_BR (SRPBR)

PS: English is not my native language, so sorry for any misspell or incoherent sentence.

• Archon117

Approved the thread.
  • Ok, then it will be in English!😅😅

Hi, Karl! I speak portugueses (Brasil)

First it should be noted that artillery also causes damage per zone, not only per target, this means that not only the target that the artillery is attacking is suffering damage, but all units close to the main target are also suffering damage. Units close to the main target also suffer damage, but to a lesser extent than the main target.

On the other hand, if you want to attack the main army you only have to give the order to the artillery, search and select the army you want to attack, order the attack and the artillery will automatically change its main target, even so the troops that are close to the army you order to attack will also take damage.

This tactic serves more to cause distractions and confusion than anything else.

• So English it is! ^^

This is exactly my point. With that kind of “strategy”, the stops being about strategy and become something about how annoying and lifeless someone can be. The consequence is that the game itself become annoying.

I say let us make Supremacy a game about coherent strategies always.

• So English it is! ^^

This is exactly my point. With that kind of “strategy”, the stops being about strategy and become something about how annoying and lifeless someone can be. The consequence is that the game itself become annoying.

I say let us make Supremacy a game about coherent strategies always.

In my opinion what is annoying are some players who get advantage over other players but not thanks to strategy or tactics, but they get the advantage through other methods little or no professional and very dishonorable, without honor, for example players who group large armies and sweep everything, that has nothing of strategy, and is quite annoying. The problem is not the game, the problem is those players without ethics and without honor, another example of those players are those who use Goldmarks for everything, their advantage is given by their pocket, not their strategic performance in the game.

• In this case, what your enemy did can be considered strategy because it is a tactic of distraction and confusion, what is not strategy is the large army that is grouped there.

To repel the attack I recommend you to destroy the artillery of the enemy, that must be your priority since the artillery is the one that will destroy your fortresses with the bombardments. If you have or can build bombers do it, and with them bomb all those divided units that are there, as long as they are divided as they are in the attached image the bombers can eliminate several units at the same time.

On the other hand, if you don't have any, try to create other defensive lines, because if the province you are defending becomes indefensible you must retreat to the next position and it must also be heavily fortified. If you have rail guns use them, they have a longer range and with them you can bombard the enemy artillery that is destroying your fortresses.

• By doing so, the attacking artillery will now attack the smaller group of troops, protecting the main garrison.

Normally the artillery should continue to attack the same target unless the stack id changes. If you have premium maybe keep it on "fire at will" to decrease the chance that it changes target. Or even, while online, "hold fire" and specify stack to target. In that case it shouldn't target another stack ever, but you would want to be online to manage it if the stack moves out of range, dies or otherwise changes id.

• I think that's what people call the flower in chat. If you are active you can target the singles. it will reset your ability to target if you kill the single. you can continue to target singles until you don't kill one. with splash damage and the reset for range mech you can eat up that shield around them.

The bigger issue is their artillery count to yours

• If you are active you can target the singles. it will reset your ability to target if you kill the single.

Well that's not gonna work with 3 arty :) But yeah, if you can catch some isolated on the edges you may be able to take some multi shots.

But the main point I think is that the OP raised a concern that shouldn't really be a concern. Splitting units like that shouldn't cause target to change unless stack id changes. Am I wrong?

• Normally the artillery should continue to attack the same target unless the stack id changes. If you have premium maybe keep it on "fire at will" to decrease the chance that it changes target. Or even, while online, "hold fire" and specify stack to target. In that case it shouldn't target another stack ever, but you would want to be online to manage it if the stack moves out of range, dies or otherwise changes id.

If he has primium it is better to put his artillery in "OFFENSIVE" mode, because in "FIRE AT WILL" mode there is a possibility that the artillery will stop firing, change target or not react in time when an enemy enters its range, that has happened to me.

• Hi Xiru Missioneiro! I'm Dmitry, I played against you in this match, and I probably have some of my troops and artillery in the image you annexed in your post. I don't think there's nothing wrong with what we did, if you guys were more active, you could have done something about it. Also, you and your allies should have made more artillery.

I don't see the problem, if I detach troops from an army and your artillery continues to attack it... Well, that's not exactly anyone's problem but yours, right?

Also, I don't really understand what you mean by someone being "lifeless", does that mean that people who are very active in this game don't have a life outside of it? I don't really see the point or implications of that comment, to be honest.

Have a good day!

• I have to take side with Dmitryevich here. Being active and splitting armies to create diversions is not only tactics in this game, it´s also tactics in real wars and as such it´s for sure a valid part of a war game. Being active is not the same as being annoying and lifeless. Step up and learn the game or play something less advanced like Risk.