[S1914] Legacy-Removal Feedback Thread

• Hey! It is indeed counter-logical that the game runs worse on a new machine. That shouldn't happen and points rather to a local problem. I am not aware of any recent performance degredation and also not of any noteworthy amounts of tickets in that regard. I myself also did not see any change of game performance in recently.

One thing that I can imagine is that on your new machine perhaps you onboard graphics card is rendering the game instead of your dedicated graphics card. Check your graphics card control panel (e.g. Nvidia settings) and check the program settings, which determine which program is rendered with which graphics card. Add the browser you run the game in to the programs you want the dedicated graphics card to handle.

Also check your browser settings if hardware acceleration is enabled. You could also try out a different browser just to rule out some causes. And make sure that your system and graphics drivers are up to date and no other program or browser tab is taking away too much computation time.

• No way! I just came back and everyday while I play I say: the game is so beautiful now!

Note: I started to play in 2009.

• for players to enjoy the game : UI has to be playable and have good immersion.

I believe Legacy beats New Mode in both aspects plus gives you way better control over big number of provinces and units so you can feel you control a game and run it. With New Mode- I feel I fight that new UI, not opponents.

enjoy game and join New Mode feedback group- this way you will speed up changes for better

• Hey! It is indeed counter-logical that the game runs worse on a new machine. That shouldn't happen and points rather to a local problem. I am not aware of any recent performance degredation and also not of any noteworthy amounts of tickets in that regard. I myself also did not see any change of game performance in recently.

One thing that I can imagine is that on your new machine perhaps you onboard graphics card is rendering the game instead of your dedicated graphics card. Check your graphics card control panel (e.g. Nvidia settings) and check the program settings, which determine which program is rendered with which graphics card. Add the browser you run the game in to the programs you want the dedicated graphics card to handle.

Also check your browser settings if hardware acceleration is enabled. You could also try out a different browser just to rule out some causes. And make sure that your system and graphics drivers are up to date and no other program or browser tab is taking away too much computation time.

Well, it's a laptop, so there is only one graphic card (AFAIK). On the other hand, I tested with the hardware acceleration and, well, it worked but sometimes it's still laggy and crashy (fortunately, it's a no-more in low graphics). Thanks for the advice.

Demonaire
    ES. EN & PT Game Operator

Bytro Labs | Supremacy 1914

b78//+

All the things you need to play this game can be found here, here and here.

Do you want to experience new ways to enjoy Supremacy 1914? Click here and here.

Have you problems with the game? Send a ticket.

• Would you kindly try the ultimate client again later today on your active maps and check if it still causes you trouble ? There was an issue in s1914 after the last update that caused some players to experience unusually strong stutters and lags but this should get fixed with an update today.

• Would you kindly try the ultimate client again later today on your active maps and check if it still causes you trouble ? There was an issue in s1914 after the last update that caused some players to experience unusually strong stutters and lags but this should get fixed with an update today.

I am using Ultimate Immersion / ReVamp and still getting delays and stutter on 500 maps, this is not what I have experienced until last 2 weeks, again I am currently playing in 10p, 100p and 500p map, this is only happening in the 50-0 map

index.php?eID=image&uid=11763503&mode=2

Embrace your true nature , enjoy games and have fun!

• basicaly.. legacy is the most playable version there ever was.

sure the graphics are less yet besides that most legacy players will choose it above the socalled ultimate client what they re refer to as the ultimate desaster ending game fun btw..

and yes 500 games can be played in the newer client.. yet you need a rather strong and heavy phone or so..

i use a g8 power with over 64 mem.. it works well on it..

on my tablet a samsung.. nope wont even load past the lets start the map fase..

legacy works perfectly on both lol

• We will therefore commit the resources and time required to re-enable and keep Legacy running for now. This provides us with the necessary time to work on the adjustments to the Ultimate Client, while allowing you to continue playing Supremacy 1914 in your currently prefered way. You’ll find a button in the game settings that allows you to enable Legacy as an option again. Only players who previously had access to Legacy will see this option, though.

Now that is something I did not expect when I inevitably came back around here again. Kudos and thank you.

• It just is, yes.

I came back to take a look at ReVamp and what changes had been made after the pull of legacy, which I had expected to have happened at this point. Sadly, the big ones, the ideas and wishes that would have brought its playability back towards where it used to be with legacy haven't really happened it seems. Still no tactical army view, still everything has to be cluttered all the time. Lower graphics mode is definitely the right idea, but it's way not low enough. Revamp still forces my 2017 multimedia Laptop PC to commit to it with unholy amounts of CPU, way more than I personally think should be considered acceptable for a board game.

Nevertheless, here I am again. And I don't wanna be negative about anything right now. There's probably things you could say about making the choice to keep Legacy alive rather than making Revamp function more like it. But right now, I'm just happy it was made. It's like a surprise visit from a good friend you haven't seen in years.

• Why cant you guys just focus on making your newer client based looks more on the legacy version?

It clearly is so much easier to use and looks better. This is coming from a vet and new player viewpoint as I had showed my friend who had just started and he enjoys legacy way more.

I have the mobile version too and just looking at it and trying to do anything is so clunky.

You perfected your game with the legacy version, dont need to fix what was never broken.

From someone who loves your game.

• Not to spam but since its relevant, this is what I said on another post discussing the same issue:

Yep, I have been playing Supremacy since 2014, after they introduced the new UI I tried the game for 2 weeks, I thought I would get used to it, I didnt. Honestly its so bad just looking at a map trying to follow what is happening gives me a headache, with the flashy graphics its 10 times harder to read anything, to see what provinces have what buildings, to see what composes each battalion, its completely unbearable. I have 2 games underway that are going pretty decent but im considering just abandoning them because the new UI is just so bad, it assaults the senses, I really cannot describe without being rude how bad the new UI is, I have no idea why Legacy Mode as an option has been removed, everytime it has been removed people complained, now they have done it again and I dont think they will bring it back.

For what I have seen in other discord servers/websites people are saying they will stop playing altogether cause they cant stand the new UI. I get it, Bytro put a lot of money and effort into it hurray for them, but why would you intentionally go after the people who choose not to use it? Unless they know its so bad the only way you use it is if they force you to use it which is just wrong.

The new UI is empirically worst:

-The 3D graphics although not looking bad, on a strategy game with hundreds of battalions and different troops and vehicles it just looks clustered and really unnecessary. This is the biggest point for me, not only is visibility reduced cause on the map these 3D figures have "priority", the numbers and stats are reduced so when im zoomed out I cant really tell what is where, the numbers are tiny un unclear, the screen is just plagued with this 3D figurines like it was some D&D game, everything is worst with these, selecting/dragging/splitting/low level control is made so much worst and so inconsistent the only way to play seems through multiple clicking and setting paths manually. Just changing these to the way they were before and saving those 3D models for something else would be a huge step foward.

-The information bar on resources on top is terrible now, I have no idea if its because of font choice, or size, or colour or whatever but I really need to focus my vision to be able to read what material is on surplus and which isnt. The replacement of decimal points with "k" (ie 4000 = 4k) just looks wrong and doesnt give me an exact number of the resources I have unless I hover my mouse over it. For some reason they also added a ton of garbage that wasnt there before, like your country's name and flag, your picture, your level, your game progress, why is it so clustered, why is it all on the same bar, I know its for "simplicity" but its so bad. The new graphics for the materials look good though, although again, this attempt at "smooth graphics" really makes it hard to look at for a prolonged time, the one for coal is specially terrible, really an example of less is more, old icons were super simple but they were easy to understand and were "descriptive". Also with the new way they made it, when you have any production go over 1k surplus it just bugs out and looks even worst.

-The information bar on politics (messages, coalitions, etc) is super bad, for some reason its to the left which has no reasoning behind it and its just annoying to get used to, the new "minimalistic" same colour icons again are terrible and less intuitive and easy to use compared to the old ones. The message tab looks better, I liked the old simple one more but the new one is good. Same can be said for newspaper and market, although again, that colour pallete for the blue/red/weird grey-ish blue really makes it harder to read. Also there is a lot of garbage, tons of notifications spam which is incredibly annoying. Specially since you have that big ugly chat thing at the bottom which no one uses but you cant get rid of it.

-The map, oh my god, the map. When I first saw the new UI I thought it was like some april fools or something because the new map looks so bad it really makes me abandon the game everytime I look at it. The colour pallete looks diluded, less bright and just worst in general, its just plain bad, with soft edges and puked over colours the game is hard to look at and hard to easily tell what is what. This is the second biggest point. Plus the smooth map combined with the "smooth" armies it honestly gives me a migrane just trying to move my troops around.

These are just some points but I really cant put into words how bad it is, I know Bytro worked hard for a new UI cause I admit the old one is just well, old, but it doesnt mean it isnt better, it is better, at least for a ton of players who have been playing this game for years and have been slapped in the face with being forced to use this, and im sorry, garbage UI. I dont want to have to pay the price for their mistakes, if people like the old UI more they should be able to use it like they have been for the last couple of years, I dont know why remove it now, but with so many posts saying people will stop playing, like yours truly, I hope the impact in playerbase makes them do the right decision.

The new UI needs almost a complete overhaul to even be a fraction as useable as the Legacy one. To really point to every single flaw within it would take hours, there are just so many things wrong its not just worst, its so bad its forcing me to quit the game forever. I dont care if its buggy, if it doenst have new features, just leave it as is I just want Legacy Mode back, whatever it takes.

• Thanks for the feedback! We are always striving for improvement, so we still look for feedback. About general taste we can't do much, so if you just dont like the new graphics and get migraine from it, well then we unfortunately we cannot solve this :/

Legacy was turned off because the costs of maintaining it were higher than the revenue it generated. It also made developing the game more cumbersome as 2 clients had to be maintained in parallel.

The impact on playerbase from the shutdown is very miniscule, nearly non existent in the grand scale of things, that is because the amount of Legacy users nowadays was tiny compared to the total amount of active users. The very big majority of players was already using the new client and has no issues with it. Legacy won't be turned on again.

• Thanks for the feedback! We are always striving for improvement, so we still look for feedback. About general taste we can't do much, so if you just dont like the new graphics and get migraine from it, well then we unfortunately we cannot solve this :/

Legacy was turned off because the costs of maintaining it were higher than the revenue it generated. It also made developing the game more cumbersome as 2 clients had to be maintained in parallel.

The impact on playerbase from the shutdown is very miniscule, nearly non existent in the grand scale of things, that is because the amount of Legacy users nowadays was tiny compared to the total amount of active users. The very big majority of players was already using the new client and has no issues with it. Legacy won't be turned on again.

I appreciate the response, but as I said, cant Legacy Mode just be left as is? I dont think people will mind it doenst have the new features or is buggy, I just want the game to look and operate the way it did. In full honesty the new UI is simply bad, it didnt really improve on anything and just made everything worse.

I take your word that it wont be coming back but I hope Bytro does right by the people who played for so many years, have put money into the game, stayed on it for as long as it has since its beginning and at leasts refund purchases cause I cant imagine buying 100 euros worth of goldmarks or premium account just to be slapped in the face with this really, really, really ugly UI, I honestly cannot explain without being crude how bad it is. I would like to say its lazy and terrible, but it isnt lazy, there was clearly a ton of work put behind it, its just terrible, its worst than terrible its almost viscerally offensive.

I get the whole cost of maintenance, makes complete sense, but come on, its just the way the game looks, there has to be a way to do it efficiently without costing a huge chunk of change, its just something aesthetic, cant be that hard.

• Ahh here we are again.

I've spoken my mind on the new UI on plenty of occasions in the past. Many people have. Dozens of people have left constructive, actionable feedback on it over the past four years.

Here I got a super simple quick one: At least give me the unit icons from legacy back. Give me an option to get rid of those truly repulsive 3D sprites. They're hideous, I mean, come on. This is not a matter of taste. They look like toy soldiers. They stick out like a sore thumb and add literally nothing to the playability of the map. They're massively oversized. They clutter the map. They obscure the map. Please absolve me of this. For some reason I don't think you have the slightest idea how much of a difference this would make. Old icons on the new map design - I might be able to live with. Why do you obscure the map and make it hard for me to tell my units apart when close together? Isn't this a strategy game?

The new UI could have been improved so people wouldn't miss legacy so much, at least not for all the practical reasons mentioned here and in countless threads before this one. Instead we have new airplane dynamics.

Obviously it was clear that the day would come when the company would have to fully commit, and here it is. Welp, farewell.

Edit: Can't help it. Please tell me how it was possible for somebody to have the idea, and then for a room of people to agree with it (at least that's my cliché picture of the Bytro office processes), to have the little flag that contains the symbol for unit type and numbers point next to the unit? Why does the thing that points at something not point at the units actual location on the map!? You have one thing that points at something. Why does it point at the nasty 3D sprite instead, which even disappears when you zoom out so now the little flag points at an arbitrary spot for no reason whatsoever? What is the thinking here? What is the thinking here!? There was a choice between two things and there were gameplay reasons for one of them and no reasons at all for the other, and the latter was chosen? How does this happen? It baffles the mind.

1. Remove the 3D sprites

2. Make the little unit flags larger (to essentially have the old unit icons back)

3. Make them point to the location that a reasonable person would expect them to point, the location of the unit

4. Quality of life improves for all of us

Thank you.

• An option to hide the big unit images on the map is already planned, I expect it in the near future (thanks for your patience on that one!). The labels will also try to point to the exact position of the unit then and not just float in the air. Unless many are in the same area and overlap, in that case labels are spread out for readability and the line connects them to the actual position.