Option to change Country name?

• We already have the option to change the country flag,name of the ruler,picture of the ruler,and the title of the ruler. However,I would like for an option to change the Country's names too. Because,for example,if you are Austria Hungary and conquer Germany,would it be appropriate to keep calling the country 'Austria-Hungary'?. I think not. Besides,it will help roleplaying too. We could have nations called 'Central European Federation' or 'North African Empire' or 'Republic of North America',etc.

I just hope people do not start calling their country stupid random names like 'potato' or 'gringoland'.

Im a pretty Mediocre player :|

• You don't really need to worry about the stupid names, since you could already do that with leader names n' stuff. Just a matter of report and ban if need be.

I think it's a great idea, though I wonder if perhaps it isn't quite possible because they reference the names of the countries as constants in the code somewhere? If that were the case, I'd suggest making two names, one which would be displayed as the current one is, and another that would serve to identify the country internally. If the current source code isn't a total god forsaken mess, I don't see it being a very hard task.

• This has been proposed in the past. I will soon try to push through an update for the big list and add this too. The previous proposition was still on the old forum.

Mainly the possibility of abuse has caused it never to be considered before. I however agree (as user) with InYourHeart if that's the reason not to do it... Also the ID function can't be the case as this game has different languages in which th enations are translated so the shown name is adjustable in code without breaking it. I think however that there is a second reason why you'd want to somehow wouldn't want to change it. What if Germany starts calling himself france and uses the french flag. Then it becomes hard to have a distiction between who wrote that newspaper article that he'd destroy spain (if you get my point here)

In the past a solution to this had been presented in the form of a list you can choose the names of countries you've conquered and the name of th eunified nations (e.g. east and west libya should be able to call themselfs libya if they destroyed the other), such list is however a larger design effort

NarmerTheLion
    ex - EN Senior Moderator

Questions about the game? Have a look at the manual and the FAQ's.

Need game support? Send a ticket or contact the crew.

Have an idea for the game? Check the BigList.

• I think it's a great idea, though I wonder if perhaps it isn't quite possible because they reference the names of the countries as constants in the code somewhere? If that were the case, I'd suggest making two names, one which would be displayed as the current one is, and another that would serve to identify the country internally. If the current source code isn't a total god forsaken mess, I don't see it being a very hard task.

I mean,when you change the flag,even when choosing games in the game list,it still shows the original flag of the country. Lets say,for example,you are Russia and you change your flag to a Soviet flag. Ingame,it is shown has the red Soviet one,but in the game list,it still shows the yellow flag with the crest.

• I think however that there is a second reason why you'd want to somehow wouldn't want to change it. What if Germany starts calling himself france and uses the french flag. Then it becomes hard to have a distinction between who wrote that newspaper article that he'd destroy spain (if you get my point here)

Perhaps,nations would not be able to call themselves names that have already been taken by other nations?

• Perhaps,nations would not be able to call themselves names that have already been taken by other nations?

This is true and bobokil has a point to e.g. if you click a newspaper article it takes you tothe nation who wrote it (for non anons then) But what about France_ and France? it remains hard to keep the confusion away

NarmerTheLion
    ex - EN Senior Moderator

Questions about the game? Have a look at the manual and the FAQ's.

Need game support? Send a ticket or contact the crew.

Have an idea for the game? Check the BigList.

• This is true and bobokil has a point to e.g. if you click a newspaper article it takes you tothe nation who wrote it (for non anons then) But what about France_ and France? it remains hard to keep the confusion away

A solution would perhaps have it search for the word in the name, not matching it perfectly. This issue of preventing copies gets a bit complicated since even the default names share some words, like any duo of "East/West" countries.

I don't see the amount of people who would abuse the system being any bigger than the amount that abuses the currently editable stuff, and those who do end up receiving proper punishment, so I see it as a having a slight bit more hassle, if at all, for a very useful and interesting feature that complements already existing ones.

• I think of some ways to do it. In another game that I will not name in case it is forbidden to name others (I don't know) there are options to form kingdoms and empires if you dominate a% of them. For example, if on the map of 500 you control Brittany, you capture and keep 75% of France, it would give you the option of calling yourself France, if you keep growing and occupy for example 70% of Western Europe, it would give you the option of calling you Western Europe. This system could be used.

• I dislike this idea. The country names for the very most part have historical significance and I think it would be severely detrimental to the authenticity to have all sorts of made up names all over the place. I do not wish to have war declared on me by the nation of "ManWithAPlanKicksAss Republic" in a game about World War 1.

Edit: Dear God, just think how many countries would be called "FC Liverpool" or "Bayern München"... oh god, no.